Complete design, engineering & manufacturing solutions
The Byron Group consists of seven Australian owned and operated companies that design and manufacture a wide range of high quality equipment for the Health, Aerospace, Emergency Response and Management industries.
As a leading manufacturer the Byron Group offers a complete solution
– Vehicle body building – Pre hospital equipment – Ground Support Equipment for Aircraft – Design, manufacturing, maintenance and restoration of aircraft interiors – Vehicle Conversion and Access Vehicles – Customised Electrical/Electronic/and IT Infrastructure
Every day, employees at the Byron Group are committed to the pursuit of operational excellence. Innovation is embedded in our corporate culture and continues to drive the growth of the business today. It pervades every aspect of the company activities, from R&D to marketing and sales, from business process to relations.
We are dedicated to looking ahead to better understand the trends and forces that will shape our business in the future, whilst maintaining our flexibility and responsiveness to prepare for tomorrow. Over the coming years and beyond, our professional community of staff and corporate relationships will be the catalyst for success.
OUR LEADERSHIP TEAM
Chief Executive Officer
Glen joined Byron Group in September 2015.
Glen has worked in a variety or senior management roles in the automotive manufacturing and transport logistics industries in a career spanning 25 years. He has held senior executive positions with MaxiTRANS Australia, the largest manufacturer and supplier of trailing equipment to the Australian transport industry and with PACCAR Australia, the manufacturer and supplier of Australia’s leading truck brands Kenworth and DAF. His previous position was Chief Executive Officer for Sargeant Transport, one of the largest Victorian regional based transport solutions providers with over 250 pieces of equipment servicing customers such as McCain Foods, Mars, Murray Goulburn, Fonterra, Simplot, Coles, Aldi and Woolworths.
Glen’s management experience extends to multi-divisional Audit, P&L, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow responsibilities in both Australia and the USA. He has detailed local and international industry knowledge and links particularly in Government, advanced manufacturing and transport industry sectors. He is a passionate advocate for Australian value adding industries.
Mark co-founded Wolseley after a successful career at Bain & Company, where he was a Partner responsible for the Australian and New Zealand consulting business. Mark specialises in strategy, development and implementation, alliance negotiation, organisational effectiveness and CEO partnering.
Mark started his career as a petroleum engineer working for Shell International and Esso Exploration. Mark holds a BSc (Hons) in Chemical Engineering from Leeds University and an MBA from Stanford Graduate School of Business. He is a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and The Executive Connection. Mark is a qualified commercial helicopter pilot and combines flying, family and education into his business perspectives.
Current Board Positions: Byron Group (Chairman); CoxGomyl (Director); Cartridge World (Alternate Director); University of Western Sydney Foundation (Director); and the Jane Goodall Institute (Trustee)
Previous Wolseley Board Positions: Stream Solutions (Chairman); Transonic (Alternate Director)
Chief Financial Officer
Sean joined Byron Group in March 2016.
Sean, a Chartered Accountant, held senior finance roles in a number of innovative and prominent international and domestic companies over a 20 year career.
Prior to joining Byron, Mr Nestor previously worked with Pirelli – Italian global manufacturer of tyres and cables, Illinois Tool Works (ITW) – US global manufacturing conglomerate, Dalkia – French engineering and asset management solutions company. Locally he worked with Graham Group, now part of the Nepean Group, – a large diversified private manufacturer and supplier to the construction, infrastructure, mining and hardware markets. His extensive experience in senior management roles include the manufacturing, engineering, distribution and services sectors.
His last role was as head of finance for James Walker Australia – a large private company and a designer and manufacturer of bespoke sealant and packing solutions for Oil & Gas, Power and Utility businesses e.g. MobileExxon, Shell, Wood Group PSN and Origin Energy.
Mr Nestor lives in Sydney, New South Wales.
The people at Byron Group strive to deliver our customers the most advanced and innovative solutions and technical products. Utilising our past experience, we generate value for stakeholders, and provide a dynamic, challenging and rewarding environment for our committed employees, where innovation and creativity is encouraged.
We believe in a working community and environment that is ethical and moral, sharing common core values with our internal and external stakeholders and employees.
We maintain openness, honesty and reliability in everything we do. We believe in striving and delivering the highest levels of professionalism to our stakeholders and each other.
We embrace diversity; we value teamwork, openness and trust. Together we can achieve great things.
SAFETY & THE ENVIRONMENT
We care for the local and global environment, are sensitive to the views of local communities and are committed to sustainable development.
The Byron Group is about supporting the great ideas of our people, clients and business partners. We believe innovation is the catalyst for creative and inventive solutions thereby providing continuous improvement.
Byron Group has a Number of strategic relationships and alliances across a number of different industries.
Byron Groups’ ETT is an approved body builder for Mercedes Benz & Renault Australia
• Ambulance Service NSW
• ACT Ambulance Service
• Ambulance Victoria
• South Australia Ambulance Service
• Queensland Ambulance Service
• Ambulance Tasmania
• St John Western Australia
• St John Northern Territory
• National Patient Services
• Royal Flying Doctor Service
• NSW Health
• St John VIC
• Wilson Health
• Rio Tinto
• RFS NSW
• NSW Rural Fire Service
• ACT Emergency Services
• NSW Police Service
• Victorian Police Service
• NT Police Service
• Australian Federal Police
• Surf Life Saving Australia
• Corrective Services NSW
• Juvenile Justice NSW
• Aspen Medical
• Hamad Medical Group
• Mercedes Benz
• Renault Australia
• N.B.K. Qatar
• Volvo Commercial Sales Group
• Virgin Australia
• Alpha Catering
• Gate Gourmet
• NIJL Aircraft Docking
• Fiorella Wheelchair Systems
• Driessen Aircraft Interior Systems
• VCS England
• BAE Systems
• Queensland Rail
Our people are committed to delivering products and services of a superior quality on time, exceeding the requirements and expectations of our clients and regulatory obligations.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY
Our aim is to achieve the highest standards of Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) in all work locations and operations. We are committed to continuously improving OHS management systems and achieving best practices.
We are committed to environmental best practice in all activities including operations, manufacturing, logistics and waste management. Through taking ownership and leading by example, we have and will continue to develop and maintain efficient and effective environmental practices and will comply with relevant government regulations and environmental legislation.
HUMAN RESOURCES – EEO
At the Byron Group we are dedicated to growing a rich culture, a diverse workforce and a work environment, in which every employee is treated fairly, respected and has the opportunity to contribute to business success. All employees and applicants are treated and evaluated according to their job-related skills. qualifications, abilities and aptitudes only.
• Founded by Robert and Fred Byron in 1963, known as Byron Engineering
• Provided general aviation & engineering products
• Designed & manufactured all successful (aluminium) 12 meter yachtmasts for the America’s Cup challengers
• Forged a strong relationship with Qantas as a well-respected supplier
• Responsible for supplying over 1000 different components related to the aircraft interiors section
• Worked closely with Qantas on the 747-200 series Aircraft, providing support with their lower lobe galleys
• Worked with United assisted with the sales program of the 747-200 aircraft, meeting delivery requirements for ship sets equipment
• 1980 saw the beginning of exponential growth
• New management influence saw rapid expansion into the emergency services market with DHS Emergency and the expansion of the airline support companies, Byron Aviation and Byron GSE
• Emergency Transport Technology (ETT) was created and Accessible Transit Specialists (ATS) was acquired
• Significant contracts won to build the ambulances for Ambulances for Sydney NSW and wheelchair access vehicles and ambulances for Sydney Olympics 2000.
• The airline and air services related business continued to grow despite the volatile airline market.
• The group developed the world leader A380 catering services truck
• Won significant contracts with Defence, other Australian ambulance services and other emergency services
• Became Australia’s largest emergency vehicle builder and Australia’s largest wheelchair access conversion company
• Emergency Resource Management (ERM) was created to specialise in on-board computer based (CAN bus) vehicle data management systems, touch screen systems and dispatch control.
• Wolseley Private Equity invested in the Byron Group in 2010
• Organic growth opportunities are being pursued in Australia
• Further opportunities are being explored in key international markets such as the Middle East and Asia
• In late 2011 a new subsidiary of the Group was created, Special Heavy Vehicles (SHV). SHV specialises in providing quality, innovative special heavy vehicles to a multitude of industries.
• Byron Group centralising to the Centre of Excellence in Smithfield.
• Glen Walker appointed as CEO.